County: Jelenia Gora
Municipality: Szklarska Poreba
Szklarska Poreba is a town located at an elevation of 440–886 m, on the boundary between the Karkanosze and Izerskie Mountains, and at the foot of Szrenica (1361 m).
At the end of the 13th century, the lands around present day Szklarska Poreba were purchased by Joannite monks from Cieplice, who were searching for gold and precious stone. At the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries another village was founded and by the beginning of the 19th century, it was one of the largest villages in the Sudety. For a short period after the war, Szklarska Poreba was called Pisarzowice, in 1946 however, it was entered into the Journal of Reclaimed Lands as Szklarska Poreba. It acquired city rights in 1962.
Location, a specific microclimate, long-lasting snow cover, very good tourist infrastructure with an equally rich selection of recreation, has allowed this small town, to grow into one of the largest tourist centres in the Sudety and Lower Silesia. The modern Szrenica Skiarena is located on the side of Szrenica Mountain. Szklarska Poreba also has a well developed network of bicycle trails. The most attractive hiking trail leads from the city to the Na Hali Szernickiej Hostel at Szernica, on to Sniezne Kotly rise, and to the Pod Labskim Szcytem Hostel. There is a two-stage chair-lift at Szernica. The region features two waterfalls, Szklarka (13.5 m) and Kamienczyk (27 m). Not to mention rock formations with picturesque names such as: the Krucze Skaly (Raven Rock), Zloty Widok (Golden View), Chybotek (Wobbler), Konskie Lby (Horse’s Snout), Trzy Swinki (Three Little Pigs), Borowcze Skaly (Cranberry Rock), Kukulcze Skaly, (Cuckoo Rock), Owcze Skaly (Sheep Rock), Ptasie Gniazda (The Bird’s Nest), (Karkanosze’s Grave), Baszty (the Pockmark), Dziobata (the Spitfire) and Zakret Smierci (Dead Man’s Curve) – a lookout point along a Sudeten Road. Among the historical landmarks are: the Hauptmann Brother’s Home, the Vlastimila Hofman Home, the neo-gothic Corpus Christi Parish Church, the baroque Church of the Immaculate Heart of the Most Holy Virgin Mary, the cemetery church of Our Lady of the Rosary, the Julia Glassworks Complex and old Sudeten cottages (the oldest dating from 1740). In addition there is the Museum of Energy, Museum of Minerology and the Soil Museum.
Wroclaw-Szklarska Poreba; PKS
Road 5 (8, E67), Road A4 (5, E40), Road 5, Road 3 (E65); 130,9km
Biuro Informacji Turystycznej (tourist Info.)
ul. Jednosci Narodowej 3, 58-580 Szklarska Poreba
tel.+48 75 7172449, +48 75 7172494, fax +48 75 7172449
Check the others...